Tuesday, November 18, 2008

KU wins in a Blowout!



The new number 15 for the Hawks is Tyshawn Taylor. Whenever I see this guys number I just know that I'll say, " Go Mario." I still need to learn some of these new guys.

KU won tonight in a blowout over Florida 80-45. It looked like it was going to be a repeat of Sunday's game when Cole Aldrich drew two quick fouls in the first half. Of course, Coach Self pulled him out but when the team was needing some leadership, Coach put him back in. Sherron Collins has really stepped up to become a leader on the team. In the first half he had scored 18 points. He scored more points individually than Florida had scored in the entire first half.

Coach Self and is staff is trying to find the right combination of starters for KU. Tonight he started Aldrich, Collins, Taylor, Morningstar, and Markieff Morris. We were surprised not to see Tyrel Reed get a starting position in tonight's game. Reed really has a lot of spunk and fire when he plays. I really like him as a player and he is a really nice person off the court as well.

Because the team was so far ahead in the second half all of the 'Hawks (with the exception of Mario Little, because of an injury) saw some action. Matt Klienmann even got a free throw in and Connor Teahan finally got out of slump and shot a 3-pointer.

KU does look a lot different out there on the floor than they did last year. I think sometimes it is a battle of nerves with the players. We will continue to see sparks of great plays throughout a game.

Next game for the Hawks will be next week at the Sprint Center in KC on Monday and Tuesday. Then we will travel to Larry Town to see the team play against Coppin State. It will be our Thanksgiving/Christmas present.

Rock Chalk Jayhawks! :)

1 comment:

Ed and Phyllis Shirk said...

I've decided not to get my hopes up this year. Last year was so great, even though I didn't get to see much but mostly just hear them on the internet/radio. They lost so many good players but I'm sure they recrutted good ones too with their history.