KU got their confidence back as they beat Missouri (the border rival) by a score of 90--71. Darrell Arthur, who got in early foul trouble, came back strong in the second half shooting 5 our of 6 free throws from the line. He wasn't lead scorer but none the less, did very good for the team. Lead scorer was Brandon Rush with 19, followed by Mario Chalmers with 15, then Arthur with 13, Sasha Kaun and Sherron Collins had 12 points each, Russell Robinson had 7, Darnell Jackson and Cole Aldrich with 6 each. On ESPN they HAD to show the football game between Missouri and Kansas, whatever. Then I saw the shirts that the students had bought over at "Joe College," and for a Kansas fan it was funny but for a Mizzou fan it probably made them VERY angry. So I guess it all evened out. ;) Next game is an improved Baylor Basketball team. This won't be a cakewalk.-------
J was out in the first round of the school bee yesterday. My friend, flute, got a pic of J on her blog. Thank you flute!!! J got out on a word that no 5th grader would use in this day and age (this was a comment made by Mr. V, fifth grade teacher). The word was "cassette." Now, J knows how to spell it and knows what it is too. Cassette. That's something we had when I was 12! Kid's nowadays have MP3 players, Ipods, and CD's. Not cassettes, or 8-tracks nor vinyl records like I had growing up.
Funny thing, J's librarian at his school was MY librarian in high school, when I was a mere sophomore. I talked with the librarian and he said that was his third year as a librarian. Now I guess he would be in his 40-41st year! I'm surprised he's not tired or re-tired like "Bobby Knight." Okay, that's another subject.
So the county is this morning. I hope this time he gets words that he knows. He knew the "harder" ones. His friend B got the word "talon." J could have spelled that one and even "perserverance." Like my friend flute says, "it's the luck or unluck of the draw." One word can knock you out. The kid who won is an 8th grader. He's not what you would call a model student. The one who came in second was an alternate speller and IS a model student and good kid all around.
I had to "coach" J in what to wear today. He wanted to wear a basketball t-shirt and I had to persuade him to "dress up," for the county bee. He is going to have to start wearing more "dress up stuff" when he is on the junior high basketball team in a couple of years. I know this will be a struggle.
I hope that J doesn't get out in the first round this morning.
-----
I normally only comment on my friend's flute blog. But lately have been following the writings of a Missouri teacher. You see he used to be my Botany teacher at SC when I was a senior. I knew his wife too as she was a student when I was there. So it's nice to see what is going on with "The Reformed Angler," who is a Presbyterian like I used to be growing up. So if he's reading this, that is how I know you and Susan. That is IF he reads this and IF he remembers me.
1 comment:
Hello, MB,
I saw an earlier comment and checked out your blog, but I failed to probe any further.
Today I saw your comment about the earthquake, and went back over to your blog and saw a reference to a Christian college in Kansas and a "sunken garden".
This caught my interest and after about 30 minutes of following clues and googling, I finally figured out who you were.
If you navigate to my profile, you'll find my email address. Feel free to email me.
Post a Comment