Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Doctors and their patients

Have you ever had a new doctor or a specialist that you needed to go to for a special condition/reason? Are they hard or easy to know? What struck you about their personality (if any)? What type of bedside manners did they have or did not have?

I can remember when I first got my family practice doctor as a single adult. I met him in the emergency room at a Wichita hospital. He was just starting out his practice and I was in need of a doctor. What made me use him as a doctor? It was his bedside manner. Okay, let's be honest here, it was because he was single and nice looking. Then he had a great "pickup line," for me. "You look like someone who works here." I laughed and wished I did work there with him. He talked with me about my injured knee (at the time) and told me a story about how he injured his leg. I could picture everything he told me. It was then I knew I wanted him for my doctor. His bedside manner was friendly. This was nearly twenty-five years ago. Since then we both got married (obviously to different people) ; delievered both of my children; and was through it all with my miscarriages, etc. I trust this man. He will be my family doctor until he retires.

My son had a pediactric medical problem when he was born. So my Dr. J sent us to a pediactric specialist. He was gruff and we didn't like him at all. We called him (not to his face) Dr. Hairy Hands. I would have questions (that my Dr. J told me to ask him) and he would say, "Oh there's another worried mother." Like this was a bad thing and made me feel less than human. I told him, "No. I am not asking this. I am asking this for my doctor." So there. He wasn't a very nice person. I have heard since that other doctors say the same thing about him.

This past summer I was referred to two other doctors for my "condition." I originally asked to see a Dr. Ed but he was busy and referred me to his associate. When I met Dr. C, he shook hands with me and L very warmly. He explained what my condition was and what steps to think about. He didn't pressure me but was very reassuring. I liked him. Sure he was a lot different than my Dr. J but I still liked him. Maybe it was the way that he spoke to me, or looked in my eyes. He has a personality!

Then Dr. C referred me to Dr. Jason Walton (not his name, but here to protect the innocent). He looked like Dr. Nerd. At first I didn't even like him. I didn't like how he came into the room. He didn't even talk to L, let alone recognize he was even sitting there in the room. He talked rushed and I couldn't barely comprehend what questions he was asking me. I thought, "Oooh do I have to deal with him too?" Then I thought about what Dr. J had said about surgeons, that they are rushed and don't have much of a bedside manner. Keeping that at the back of my mind helped me get through that visit.

Just before my operation was to begin, Dr. C came into check on things. I saw him and waved to him. He smiled at me and shook my hand telling me things would go okay. I had a rush of emotions. I wished that my Dr. J was there but realized I could actually trust Dr. C. He is a really good doctor with great bedside manners. Now, I could see why women fell in love with their OBGYN's.

After my operation, I had heard that Dr. Jason Walton actually talked to L about how things went. I thought "He actually talked?" Are we talking about the same one?

While recovering Dr. Jason Walton came in and actually had a personality. I asked him a question and he didn't act like I was an idiot for asking it. He gave me the answer I wanted to hear and proceeded to tell me not to do certain things and that I would be taking the antibiotic that he prescribed. That's when I didn't want to cross him or argue with him. Then I was quite surprised that he shook hands with both of us on Monday. Just when I started to like him, he said I didn't have to see him anymore.

So just before he left the room I told him "Thank You." He didn't say anything. He just left the room. That was it.

Now I know if it was my Dr. J or Dr. C they probably would have smiled and said "You are welcome. "

Too bad surgeons or specialists can't develop a better bedside manner. If they did, just think about how many referrals they would get and what a booming practice they would have. They may be good in their field but they need to be "people smart" too.

No comments: