Saturday, October 6, 2007

KU Football Beats K-State in Manhattan!!

I am a big KU fan! My favorite team are the KU Men's Basketball team. I just live and breathe KU basketball from October until April (or so). But today, the KU football team led by quarterback, Todd Reissing beat the K-State Wildcats! WOW!

Now, normally I don't watch very much football on television or anywhere. It just isn't my game. But when I was an 18 year old student at Juco thirty-four years ago, I HAD to watch football. Well, actually I kind of liked it, emphasize "kind of." I thought I would be pretty good at play-by-play on our student radio station. Afterall, I had watched the NY Jets and Joe Namath, the KC Chiefs and Lenny Dawson, and the Baltimore Colts and Johnny Unitas play on television in my "youth." And I had played "rag-tag" football as a girl in my neighborhood. Yep, I thought I knew my football pretty well back then.

I can remember this guy, who was going to call the game with me was impressed. He always advertised on his show that I was the "first woman announcer" to actually do play-by-play for a football game. I was thinking yes, I know sports I can do this. Well, that night of the game, we were playing another Juco, called the Highland Scotties. I get in there and duh! I know NOTHING! I just sit there not talking much, not knowing diddly-squat! A lot of dead air. It was AWFUL....I was awful. That was my first and last football game I ever called.

It wasn't much better with basketball (according to my co-announcers, all guys). I got excited calling a basketball game. I couldn't contain myself. I knew the players too well, as I went to school with them. The other guys, Galen, the sports director said "You can't get excited while calling a game." These were the days before anyone heard of the team of Bob Davis and Max Falkenstein. It just wasn't done that way. Now, I look back on those days and laugh, wondering if Galen has ever listened to any KU basketball broadcast. The announcers are far from laid back. If you were that dull no one would listen to you.

But getting back to the Jayhawks over the Wildcats today it was fun just watching KU beat K-State. And this time I actually knew what I was talking about when I explained and discussed the football game to my son.

Some things do change!

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS!!

No comments: