Not knowing what to expect since this is our first experience with conferences at HS, we decided to come a little late. We should have came right at the time that they opened, 5 pm. We collected the grades from the counselor and the various teachers of the high school had tables around the hall way.
We looked around for a teacher whom S was making a B in. We decided to go for the typing teacher so sitting on "blocks" we didn't know who was in line first. We thought we were first; we were last. So we moved around until we saw a teacher who was not busy or didn't have a line. So we went to S's easier classes. The teacher's didn't keep us long as we didn't have any questions and S was doing well. We went down the hallway I stood, what seemed like forever, to talk to the Science teacher. It's too bad that the HS couldn't provide more chairs for the parents to sit on. Finally I HAD to sit down. Since I just got out of the hospital 4 weeks ago (which doesn't seem that long ago) I decided to rest my bones and sit down elsewhere until that teacher was ready.
We noticed that one student had his step-dad and mom there and they HAD to discuss every little detail!! Meanwhile the lines to see that particular teacher grew longer and longer. If they had THAT much to talk over they should have just called them earlier or emailed them. There were other parents waiting! It seemed as if we were following these people. UGH! Roll eyes!
So since there were so many chairs (not), I had to sit elsewhere while L saved our place in line. I started talking to another student's mom and she told me about her son and Math. They had some strategy on how to do better. Sounded like a good plan to me too.
Finally after talking to the last teacher, S's favorite, not hardly. We needed to talk to the counselor. He was the most helpful! When we finished we noticed we had been there for 90 minutes!! I was worn out!!
We checked who made the honor roll. S did but not the one she really wanted to be in. It's hard to be perfect when you are taking so many challenge courses and hardly any "fluff" courses. Maybe she will be able to do it in the 2nd nine weeks. Quite possibly she will be able to do it second semester. But knowing who made the top grades makes her want to do even better. Her grades were pretty good, in my opinion, but I know she really strives for perfection.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment