While reading the county newspaper today, I came across the School Board meeting. They had supplemental contracts for those people who wanted to become a coach for the now combined sports of the two middle schools. They are now offering two new sports: Wrestling and Cross Country for the middle schools.
Then I came upon this line "It was approved to move the 8th grade graduation of Anthony and Harper to CHS." I read this a few times. WHAAATTT!!??? Anthony and Harper have always held each 8th grade graduation ceremony at their respected school. This year proved to be their last year for that tradition.
I am greatly disappointed at what is going on with the school situation down in this area. The administration has been wanting to move both middle schools out to the high school. They have held various meetings to combine both schools. They have sent out mailings to see what the public thinks. And each time the public has said "no" to combining these two middle schools and moving them out to the high school. But now the administration is "railroading" the public into this particular situation. Since they couldn't have their way, the administration has combined all sports (with the exception of track) with both middle schools. Practices (I would guess would be held at the high school) and most likely the games as well at the high school. At one time I read this was a 2 year "deal" they were using, by combining the sports.
Now they are combining the graduations of both 8th grades at CHS together. The admininistration might have lost the battle, but they are pretty much doing what they want. It is crazy!! We (the public) voted for a brand new school board yet this current one that we voted in seems worse than the previous board. I think everyone figured if we got a new school board, with new people, that they would keep things the same. WRONG!
Now that the admininstration is having it there way, they will come back and ask the public again if they want the middle schools to have classes at the high school. With this combination of sports, now graduation, and eventually everything else will be held out there and they will let the public KNOW about it. They will beg and plead and they may get their way.
The administration also is wanting to develop our youth in sports. Every time I read the Ink Spot, it has an ad stating, "Parents encourage athletes to attend a summer camp." Great! Now, whoever is behind this great gimmick please list some summer camps so my "athlete" can attend.
The administration out here in Anthony/Harper are sneaky when it comes to this combining of activites for the middle schools. First it started a few years ago because of the football team was sparse, then they combined cheerleaders. Next year is a new year for this combination of sports teams for 2 years. No matter how it will work out just watch out for the next few years of the sneaky school tactics that the administration uses. I guarantee you that the public won't like it, but the administration doesn't care they'll do what they want.
:(
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The top administrator has said all along (behind the scenes) that it doesn't matter what the public or the school board says, he's going to combine the schools one way or another. There are things he can do and decisions he can make that have nothing to do with the school board. This combining thing has been talked about for a long, long time - since the previous administrator was here.
That being said, I'm not opposed to combining sports. I went to the meeting about it and I think they have a good plan. There are pros and cons to it, of course, but there are also pros and cons to leaving them separated.
I definitely agree with you about needing some camps or summer activities besides sports. The library has the summer reading program, of course. And summer rec has had the art program until the director of that got thrown in jail. Maybe you could contact John Stainbrook and see if he would want to do a summer chess camp?? I have a kid who would LOVE that! Who's in charge of the TSA program - maybe if we contacted them they would also do a camp? I suspect the problem is going to be that no one wants to lead them. I wish they would, though, there are plenty of kids out there who are non-sporty and looking for something to do. K2 is definitely NOT an athlete, although she still wants to play so we let her. She would really love a science camp or something. Maybe talk to Brad S., too.
Post a Comment