Monday, June 16, 2008

Weekend comments

Usually I am right on top of things during the weekend. But since I had a cortisone shot to take care of my severe allergy reaction to whatever bit me, wherever that was, I've just been taking it easy.

We drove to Wichita thinking we were going to find the car to take the place of the green one. We are looking for a small fuel efficient car that's easy to handle. In other words, something that S could practice driving with. We got out of Harper later than I would like and didn't start our search until well after 2. We went up and down the center of town looking at every cheap-o car lot. We have like 3 models in mind and we found nothing! We were just about ready to leave town when I said "I forgot to get g-pa a card." We went to another Target and all the cards were pretty much picked over. I found cards that had a buck on the front, a ship on the front, some inappropriate cards for him (something about beer), a Jeff Foxworthy card, and a "git-er-done," card. Finally we found THE card. It said something about "Grandad." I had to smile as that was what I called my grandfather (on my dad's side).

We get back a little too late for a wedding party (L's boss' kid's wedding reception). They were registered at Target (most everything was bought on the list) and a Bed, Bath, and Beyond place. We did go out there to look and about every entry said "See associate." Meaning, that the store didn't carry that particular item. Great! I ended up doing the easy gift card thing and we were late. We talked to the groom a little and cleaned up a little, as we knew church was to be held in the park for Father's Day.

Yesterday, I slept in late. I wasn't planning on going to Father's Day in the park. Not with those inscets and my allergies. No thank you. We got up and noticed that the weather looked a little overcast. We thought maybe they still held services in the park. But when we got to church, we did notice the cinnamon rolls and coffee pot in the kitchen. Apparently they changed locations at the last minute and it was held in fellowship hall. The water from the cooler was nearly drained!

We went on to Wellington to pick up stuff that g-pa and g-ma needed at the store. We found a great bargain at our local Dillons' store. Milk was priced at $2.99 instead of the usual $4.00 a gallon at our store. Then we decided to get a bucket of chicken for the family and the grandparents. Instead of barbecuing (which I love to do at least twice a week) we bought chicken. What a treat!

L gave the card to g-pa and he thanked us. Then we checked the cards out on the table. There was the EXACT card there from their granddaughter in Maryland. Oh well, great minds think a like.

To top my weekend off I even cracked a tooth! Wonderful! (Not) So now I get to visit my dentist tomorrow (because he is not at the office today). Another disadvantage of living in a small town.
-----
Other news---Our church cookbook is scheduled to be shipped out June 30th. So I am hoping that people will not forget what they ordered!!

Mario Chalmers is staying in the NBA draft. At first when he went in the draft I thought "No way, would he be staying." I thought this as his dad is on the KU staff and that his family would want him to finish his education. I was wrong. Chalmers is pulling a Paul Pierce and giving up his senior year. Hopefully Chalmers will be as good as Pierce and the Celtics. I will miss not seeing him when we see KU play this year. He was a nice young man whom I spoke with as I complimented his style of play.

I'm pulling for the Celtics in game 6 to win the NBA Finals!

1 comment:

flute4peace said...

Wow, sounds like you had a really busy weekend! Yeah, we bailed from the park at the last minute, and good thing we did as it started to rain about 9:45. Can't wait to see the cookbook (but I'm a little nervous, too)