Friday, June 20, 2008

Squirrels and Birds Will Eat What?

This afternoon I have been doing the "taxi mom" thing and am the lawn care person today. Each time that I have looked outside of the back gate I watch our local squirrel run down the pole and then back up. He seems to be eating something but what?

I didn't lay any dried bread crumbs or dried corn nibblets out there. All I had out there was the dog's food.

I couldn't believe it that the dog wasn't eating it but the squirrel was taking advantage of it. I have had birds come on the backporch and eat Daisy's food too. They loved that Purina Dog Chow. But now it seems that the squirrel is hung up on "Sensitive Stomach," the Science Diet stuff.

I poured the food out of the bowl for the dog and maybe he should get a clue to eat his daily meal before the squirrel got to it. Then I took some kernels out of the bowl and placed them on top of the fence post. Sure enough the squirrel came to the spot and ate some of the kernels. That is until the dog got wise to what I was doing and tracked the squirrel from fence to the branch of the oak.

Now I've put some old cat food on a post hoping that the squirrel will go after that. I'll probably end up with a bunch of unwanted cats and a dog that will eat catfood as well. Upon watching the "cat food"stuff on the post, I saw a Blue Jay come by and get his share of "Indoor Cat" Science Diet food. Our cat won't eat that stuff! Guess the Blue Jay enjoyed that "hairball formula." :)

When does that old saying come into play "You are what you eat?" Apparently the squirrel thinks he is a dog and the bird thinks he is a cat.

Whatever. ;)

No comments: