Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Tradition Continues

The Spelling Bee at Harper Elementary is tomorrow (weather permitting). S was in it from 5th to 8th grade. Now she has passed the torch to her brother J. When I heard that the kids were qualifying for the bee I encouraged J. But J was dreading it. He is just so unmotivated. I told him that he would do his best or he would have to some other activity that he really didn't like. So he tried his hardest and I'm not sure if he was 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in the class of 5th graders. It really doesn't matter. Because it just matters how you finish overall. S was never first in her class but yet in 6th grade she was 3rd in the county and 2nd in the county in 8th grade. That's where it really matters. We will need to "coach" J on how to spell during the bee because he just can't blurt out the spelling, he has to think it through. S had a trick she used. She would write on her hand and picture the spelling in her mind. We are just blessed J qualified. Then next week he will be at the County Bee at CHS since he wasn't an alternate. I just hope he does his best, that's all I ask of him and nothing more. I just need to get in there and motivate him tonight, after we watch the other tradition....The KU/KSU basketball game. Hopefully that tradition will continue for KU.
-----
Please pray for S as she has had a horrible toothache. She takes antibiotics and motrin for it and nothing seems to work. She went to the dentist and they couldn't see anything on the x-ray. I know this isn't some phatom pain, it is very real. So real that she was whinning in pain last night. It almost drove ME to take a Motrin too.
------
S gets to take care of Josiah and Penny for a couple of days. I will "help" her out when she is at school. I always like going out there and admiring the "nature" out there.
-----
Let's pray for next to no snow tomorrow. I heard we could get 2--4 inches. Hopefully that prediction is for Hu town and NOT Har town. Hopefully it will melt off quickly too.
----
We need to pray for the folks up at Whitewater, KS, as their Mennonite Church was burned to the ground on Monday night. I am sure that they will rebuild but in the meantime they will be holding church at Berean Academy. I watched video on TV seeing their church burn. All their tradtions, memories, and history were lost in that fire.

1 comment:

flute4peace said...

Ooh, K2 loves to watch the spelling bee. What time is it? If I'm lucky it'll be in the morning when I can take her. Or maybe Grammy would keep K3 for a while.

So sad about the church. That's the second historic Mennonite church that we've lost recently. And I'll never forget when Eden burned. I went there a lot as a kid - it was my grandparents' church.

I hope S is feeling better! I've heard toothaches are awful!

Thanks for the heads-up on the game tonight. I'm excited that we get to see it!!