Thursday, March 13, 2008

Break out the Mace and Pepper spray

You would think that you would be safe in your own backyard in this little town. Well, maybe in some areas of town but not where I live. Over the noon hour L had quick fixed our broken fence slat as the prison dogs were running around in our yard. I was lucky that Mario wasn't outside then. So I just assumed that everything was hunky dorry by 2 pm.
Don't assume anything!
I was planning on going out to school for a class party and thought Mario needed to do a job outside. So I placed him on his leash and started for outdoors. We went around the back between the house and the garage. And then I saw them! Renegade, prison dogs lunging for my dog. I was scared!! I shouted at the top of my lungs, "HELP MEEEE PLEASE. SOMEBODY HELP ME!!"
I saw the fence and these dog had broken yet another slat to make it to our side.

The dogs started to pick on my dog in their prison dog ways and he started to yelp. I still don't believe these dogs are fixed, either that or highly aggressive! I felt one of the dogs on my legs and I was scared for the life of my new dog and myself. No one was coming around!! I finally got my dog in the back porch, taking my foot and pushing off the other two dogs. I called L hoping he was right there. He was NOT! I told them that I needed him now because I had these creepy dogs in the back. Then I called the police department. No one picked up, except the answering machine to dial 911.

Citing that this indeed was an emergency, in my opinion, I called 911. Flute wondered if I was okay. My nerves are still shaking, after 4 hours. I had a nice officer come and talk to me telling me that since this was my fence we were technically in fault for the dogs coming through. I told him that it would be helpful if these dogs would go into the pen in back instead of pacing my fence like caged prison dogs (okay, I didn't say that), but I did suggest that the neighbor put those dogs back there. So the officer went over to the neighbors house and explained the situation. I'll just bet they just love us. BTW, they are the ones who have that nasty smoke stack.
L finally gets home and puts a new slat into the fence. Meanwhile, I suffer a meltdown. I was crying and told him that I have had enough of this! I can't even go to work because my fence is in poor repair. He did fix the pen and the dog did not dig out. Whew!! One thing went right today. Hopefully when L gets home late today we can fix it.

I think I need some mace and pepper spray when I walk my dog out in my own yard next time.
It made me think what if J was walking Mario late at night and these dogs started attacking Mario and J. I shudder to think about that thought.
-----
Speaking of these prison dogs, what if my kids were outside playing and they would jump in my yard. I still think the owner of the dogs should be at fault as well, in my opinion.

1 comment:

flute4peace said...

Yikes! That was certainly a scary stretch of time when I didn't know if you were ok, although I knew they didn't call the ambulance ;). But I was worried about Mario. I KWYM on the fence, ours is falling down, too, faster than we can repair it. Good thing the weekend is coming up!