Monday, March 10, 2008

Mario Adjustments

This is Mario as we were driving home from Wichita in the van. This has been a learning experience. The dog and the cat still have to adjust to each other. Mario seems friendly toward him but the cat isn't sure of him. He still needs to adjust to him somewhat. Here Sasha was the only pet inside our house for quite a while because Daisy wouldn't come in. So now, he has to adjust himself to another dog all over again. I am thinking I will need a baby gate someday.

The dog likes the cat food...another problem. We gave him the stuff that the Humane Society gave him but he turned his nose up at it. I grabbed a handful of Purina and mixed it with their stuff and he nosily snarfed that down. So now I've figured out the food situation.

I am thinking about calling him Houdini. As we were going to school today, he closely followed J out of the gate and into the front yard. Thankfully J called to him and I caught up with him. Then I put him into a small pen area and he jumped the pen. I think he got on top of the igloo and leapt out. Either that or took a running jump as the water bucket was on the other side of the pen. I get back from work and there he is in the yard. Well, at least he didn't jump that fence!! Yet!

I took him for a walk. I tried making him walk beside me. He's tricky. He weaves all over the place and I have to keep my eyes on him or I could really hurt myself. I am trying to teach him to walk beside me. It's pretty hard to do.

I push his rear end down and firmly say, "SIT." He lazily sits on the floor and just doesn't get it. Daisy came already trained. She could sit and shake hands.

He likes to spend time with me or whoever is around. I think he gets lonely when we are gone. Sasha doesn't care either way about us. He likes to makes his own schedule.

One thing that I do like about him is that he doesn't put his paw on my knee and make scratches on my leg. He does seem to be a well-behaved dog to some extent. But all of us are going to have to make some adjustments until he gets used to us.



1 comment:

flute4peace said...

Hey, congratulations and welcome to the new family member!!!!