Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Window Salesman

We thought we would invest in some good windows. We called up a reputable window/siding specialist in Wichita. We had seen their television ads and they seemed like a friendly bunch. The main work specialist came on out to our house took pictures and explained what they were going to do. We just happened to be picking up a new mower in Wichita today and dropped in for the "sales pitch."

He explained how good the new windows would cost and how we would be saving energy costs. He explained that his company was good in clean up, nice, friendly, did drug testing on their employees, etc. We went through the check list turned the page and.....EGADS!! This was just on windows only, eleven of them, $11,000 plus!! Well they had a sale, which by the way was ending on Friday, so that lowered the price to a nice $9,500 (still that price didn't cut it). Well now he had some lower priced windows that would have no insulation the sales price on it was $6, 700. For that price I could put both my kids in second phase braces or build on a room addition!! I looked a L. After nearly 20 years, we read each others mind, "that's tooooo much!" I said, "Can we think about it?" Meaning, I really don't think we are getting these! So the salesman emphasized that the sale was going off on Friday and that we need to act now.

Yep, we needed to get out of there now. I was thinking the price of a replacement window would run between 200--500 a window. NOT, 600 to 800 dollars. The salesman kept saying how great the company is and how much equipment it cost to come out to H town, etc. Then we asked, "How much would it cost to do 3 windows?" He replied, "We have a 5 window minimum."
Why don't they advertise that fact?? He showed us the figure and what we needed to put down. OUCH! The numbers didn't look that great. There was no way we could do this.

L told them that we didn't know it would be THAT much. I added, "Well, this was an eye-opening experience." The friendly salesman who was nice in the beginning wasn't too forgiving in the end. He lost a sale. I felt bad for him, but we just cannot budget that much.

Why can't there be no-hassle window salesman out there? He could have said, "Well, if you can't do it then at least you know how much it will take. Thanks for turning to our company in the first place. If down the road you can see it fitting into your plans, I hope that you'll be able to turn to us. We want to win friends, not make them mad."

But instead they made me feel bad because I wasn't taking the deal. I'd feel worse if I had taken the deal and gone into bankruptcy. These sales people need to realize that not everyone who walks into their business actually can afford their deal. I guess until then I'll be watching the DIY network and doing our own window replacements. (with a little help from our friends!)..someday.

1 comment:

flute4peace said...

Hee hee, we had a similar experience. No thank you! We'll do it ourselves. We've had good luck with the shrink wrap stuff on the inside of the windows. It's amazing the amount of cold air it keeps out.