Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Ramblings...

I have been busy with the church website today. I asked L how to scan pictures into the website. I have scanning pictures of kids from our old pre-school from days past on a page. It looks pretty interesting. So if you are a loyal follower of the webpage please check it out and tell me what you think!
-----
Family History in the form of genealogy really is interesting. I can remember some people in my college history class who could go way back on their family tree. When I got older I wanted to know more. Thankfully the technology has allowed me to find several distant relatives and cousins. I can remember my grandmother (on my mom's side) having an old letter around from her grandmother. It was written in 1842. I remembered it was a very brittle letter and I had to be careful on how I opened it. I saw the names in there and realized that the letter was written by my great great great grandmother Sarah (Sally) Harris Jennings. Since then I found out that some of her family were Mormon. She was the only non-Mormon. I have read histories regarding that family. Pretty interesting stuff. One relative was killed by a stampede in Nebraska while on her way to Utah.

On my dad's side I have researched about my great grandmother. Most of the relatives believed that she had no siblings. But she was from a large family from Illinois. Her father died when she was 10 and she and her younger brother were shipped back west (Nebraska and Kansas) to relatives because their mother couldn't take care of them. Since then I have emailed her brother's family (the one who was shipped to Nebraska). We have compared notes and she is one of my favorite people to email/talk to. I got to meet her a few years back as she came through Kansas.

It is so interesting (in my opinion) to follow family history and to know the stories of our past.
Guess that's why I like History so much. :)

2 comments:

flute4peace said...

I have some Easter pictures and skating pictures to send you. I finally got them done today.

Ed and Phyllis Shirk said...

I check on the PV web page frequently and I really appreciate all your work you do on it. I like the addition of the pictures of the preschool. Keep it up!