Thursday, March 6, 2008

Pickleball Accident

When I looked up about Pickleball I saw the equipment used in this sport. We never had this type of sport when I took PE. We had kickball, softball, tennis, table tennis, badminton, but Pickleball???!!! I had heard J and S talk about playing that in PE in the grade school. It sounded kind of ridiculous. Sounded like something that I wouldn't enjoy it at all. Now S really hates it now!

I checked on the web to see what the equipment looks like. The balls are plastic whiffle balls (the little balls with the holes in them) and the racket is wooden like a ping pong paddle or a racketball racket.

About at 10:15 I see L coming up the driveway and wondered why he was coming home. Maybe he forgot something. He said that S had called him at work and said that she was injured in PE. She had a cut and that she needed to go to the emergency room. Thoughts immediately came to my brain. Where was she cut? How big was the gash? Would it leave a scar? Was she okay?
We drove out to CHS and I was worried! When we saw her sitting in the office she had a bandage just above her eye.

I asked her how big was the opening, like an inch or what? She couldn't tell us so she went in the gym to get JG (our friend from church). It's nice to see JG, but NOT in this capacity. He told us what he did to close the injury and that she should probably go see a doctor. He reassured us that the cut wasn't a gusher! That made me feel better. I kidded S and said, "anything to get out of your science test." And she added, "No, I would be in Algebra now." I couldn't help but laugh. She absolutely hates this class!!

So we go to the ER at HH and they tell us to go across to the clinic. The nurse and the doctor (very nice little Doctor Cass) came in to talk to her. Dr. Cass had a great bedside manner. I really liked her!! They prepped her for getting stitches in that area around her eye. Meanwhile S was holding her phone constantly texting her friends what was going on. When they were about ready to deaden the skin around her eye, S's leg vibrated. She just received another text message.

I had to laugh about her texting. I have texted her on occassion and I HAVE to do it with 2 hands. S does it in one hand and quickly. But here she was lying on this table and texting her friends without even looking! She took her phone and took picture of her cut, no doubt sending it to friends. LOL!!

S received 5 stitches and won't have to have PE (sorry JG) until the stitches are out. Too bad the doctor couldn't give her an excuse to get out of Algebra class, then she would say it was worth getting hurt!! LOL!

2 comments:

flute4peace said...

Oh I'm so glad she's ok!! I've been dreaming up all sorts of horrible pickleball injuries she could have had. It sounds like J took good care of her as did the doctor. I had stitches in nearly the same place when I was a kid.

ROFL about the texting!!!! Too funny.

Ed and Phyllis Shirk said...

Our youngest, H, was the only one of ours that ever needed stiches and that was twice in the same season. The first time she was only about 3 or 4 and she held fairly still but cried like crazy thoughout the process. It was on her face as well. She cried so hard that she fell asleep, then DA hit an area that wasn't numbed up so well which woke her up and started all over again. The second time around, on the face again, she felt like an old pro.