Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Spring Break/Ironic basketball notes

Usually when there is spring break our family goes up to either Topeka or Lawrence for a day. This year, I forgot to order the hotel and Easter is earlier than normal. So we probably won't be going anywhere this spring break. :( I enjoy these trips. Getting away and sampling some of the cuisine in Lawrence and shopping in Topeka at stores that Wichita no longer have (Macy's). But so far this year we have taken two road trips to both of these cities when we saw KU play.

Since it is spring break I can get J or S, mostly J to watch Mario when I need to go to work. We still keep him in the house a lot more than we did Daisy. But he does have shorter hair than she ever did, so it's really no problem. We just have to make sure Mario gets to go out for his daily constitution. It would be nice if we could just let him off his leash and run in the yard. Maybe we will once we get more fence material and start to replace the old north section.

That will take quite a bit of work. It won't take just a day or so. We need to get pine boards at various lumber yards (not including the "What's it for store?"). We have 8-9 sections to put up, another post or so to replace. I still think that we should put concrete along the bottom of the fence (yet another expense) this would require a lot more work involved, so I kind of doubt it. I do like the suggestion from Scrapbook Granny as to add barbed wire around the fence.
-------
Getting ready to watch KU play Portland State on Thursday, early at 11:25. Pre-game on the radio on at 9:40 AM. Portland State is where my niece and her husband graduated from that college. We have driven by the campus several times while out in Oregon. It's okay looking, but KU is just so "college like," it's spread out; it has a lot of old buildings, and I just love those red roofs.

You would think that the way I talk that I am a grad. No. My brother graduated from there. I am a graduted of a small Christian college. I guess I couldn't see myself out there as I had gone one semester at Emporia State and just hated it. Kids were partying at all hours of the night; guys were in the girl's dorm past the hours when they should not have been; the classes were huge; and I was just homesick. I would come home every weekend just to see this guy who I met in my Economics class. I was so gone over him. I went to Sterling and later on this guy went to McPherson (ironic, wasn't it?)....in the same basketball league. I got to see him play at SC and would go out to Mac College and Bethel (N. Newton) to see him play. (This is how far gone I was about him). I can remember scorekeeping these games. I kept the scorekeeping book and a few years ago I was looking at the different players on the team. Yep, there was the guy whom I was hung up on from Mac and then I looked on the Bethel team roster. There playing for them was guy with the last name of Martens.

Little did I know back when I was watching the guy from Mac College that I was also watching my future pastor play basketball for the Bethel team. Martens. His first name was Weldon, who later pastored at PV Church in Harper.

So now you know the rest of the story....(thank you Paul Harvey!).

1 comment:

flute4peace said...

ROFL at the "What's it for store"!! I actually asked him one time if he wanted me to buy something from him or not - he was busy telling me it would never work and I just looked him in the eye and said, "So, do you want my money or not?". Made me mad. And of course I didn't hesitate to go back in and tell him that it did indeed work just fine, LOL.