Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Annual Christmas Letter

I have yet to receive my annual Christmas letter from a family member and a friend. The family member has been writing her Christmas letter for as long as I can remember. My friend just started writing one the year of her second marriage.

I am not a big fan of the Christmas letter. I see it as a way to be impersonal rather than personal. I like it when people tell me what they've been doing and add a personal note. But with the "Christmas Letter" you feel like another number. You feel like they are too lazy to write you anything.

For instance, your family member or friend may say, "During Easter of last year we took Uncle Ernie and Auntie Bernie to the Easter Islands and guess who we ran into? The Easters!" Well, of course you are totally in the dark! Who is Ernie and Bernie and the Easters? They may be important to the writer but the receiver of the letter could care less what you did on Easter, who Ernie and Bernie and the Easters are. Then of course, they have to give you an over view of the year, month by month and day by day. Blech! I can see it now. They take down their calendar and look at what they've done. "Doctor's appointment, vacation, game....oooh what would make the Christmas Letter sound Exciting this YEAR? The letter is NOT exciting, trust me.

Then if your friend or family member has no children they start to write about their pets as if they were their children. "Sprinkles just turned 45 this year, but of course that's in cat years." Then they add something like "tee hee." THEY think it's funny. You think they are just weird.

I'm glad that I haven't got the "letter" yet. But wait, I could in the next few days. Groan! I'll have to let everyone know what they said in the annual letter. Now, I bet YOU can't wait either!
--------
It's snowing outside. Yet another weekend blown to smithereens. No wonder I am behind on my shopping. For the past 3 weekends it has snowed, iced or something crummy. I am hoping next weekend will be the first weekend in December where there will be no precipitation as we will be traveling to see my beloved Jayhawks men's basketball team. Flute's son, K1, is going today. I'll be praying for him and his g-pa to keep safe! Hopefully they are on the road and won't be having any troubles on the way up.
------
Keep K1 and his g-pa in prayer; Flute too; and my friend Maurine (as she broke her hip and recovering from surgery yesterday).

No comments: