Batten down the hatches! We've got a bad ice storm coming!! It's currently raining freezing drizzle. Just now they cancelled school. J was supposed to have a program tomorrow. I kind of hope that they cancel that! So now they have! Kids are happy about that. But, then again, I'll bet they will be bored. But, it will keep everyone safe!
The last really bad ice storm that we experienced was in '05. Hearing limbs cracking and breaking, I'll never forget that sound. Then one night we were up late and the lights were flickering. Then WHAM it was like a train it the house and everything went completely black! We knew that our power went out and later on found that the box was pulled completely off of the house! We had to stay with the inlaws for 3 days. The dog had to stay in our laundry room as it was below freezing and it was a mess! We didn't have the cat yet. School was cancelled then for like a couple of days. I just hope and pray that this ice storm doesn't pull a repeat performance over here. I do not want to lose electricity ever again! Driving isn't fun at all on this stuff either.
When I was a senior in college at SC, I drove my friend to GB who needed to see the eye doctor. So when we went up to the city the weather was just fine. Then on the way back freezing drizzle started falling. I was trying to pass someone (duh!) and felt the car wiggling back and forth, not normal. I stuck the break on and we skidded over in the wrong lane and I closed my eyes. I felt the car going in the wrong lane and the bumper ended up just touching a power pole. The car had gone over a ditch and we were up next to this pole. Some nice guys picked us up and drove us to their parents house. My friend called her dad (a teacher at my college) to help to get my car out of the ditch. My friend's nerves had gotten the best of her and she was sick to her stomach. My nerves were completely shot. I still remember that time. It was nearly 30 years ago that happened and to this day I cannot drive on the ice at all. Of course, I have other driving problems as well, which I will address at another time. So yes, I am very scared when it comes to ice!
I hope everyone will keep safe and warm during this icky ice storm. If you have to drive, be carefull!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Whew! We made it through! I know what you mean about losing power. Our friends across the street were out for over a week!
Post a Comment