Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry Christmas

As I write this blog, Christmas stockings are filled; children are sleeping; L and and the grandparent are sleeping too. S has written her Christmas letter to "Claus," and "he" has answered.

What? You're thinking, she still writes to Claus? Yep, it's one of our traditions. Each Christmas Eve, "Santa," gets not only his treats but a Christmas letter just to keep the old guy up on things and also to answer very many questions. This year, however, the tradition was just about to end. But S did it anyway.

Thinking back on the traditions of what I did as a child and what my children do are nearly the same. When I was a child I begged my parents relentlessly to please open a present. Actually, it was my brother who did this. Some of his friends got him started on this tradition. Then my Santa never wrapped presents. Each morning we had to wait on my parents, while they turned on the lights and watched us run out to see our presents. I can remember the red, blue, and orange bulbs that glistened in our tree each morning. I would always hang my stocking on one of the doorhandles in the living room. I would always get chocolate marshmallow santas (and could eat all 12 of them that very day!!). The day before Christmas we would drive around the Salt City and look at the neighbors Christmas lights.

In our family we let the kids open packages from their aunt and uncle from the northwest and we go to Christmas Eve services. We look at the Christmas lights and Christmas Eve night we watch a movie. Then they write their Claus letter. When they were younger we used to tape them running down the hall. Now, since they are older, they still want us to get up early just to unwrap their packages. I wouldn't miss it. I usually hide their stockings until we are ready to make an early morning appearance. I can't stand it when they peak in their stockings before I get to see the look on their faces.

Many things have changed from growing up until now. I imagine that they will be starting new traditions with their own families as well in the future.

Have a very Merry Christmas my fellow bloggers!

No comments: