Wednesday, December 19, 2007

"Do you want Paper or Plastic?"

You get asked this question all of the time at the grocery store or sometimes they don't even ask you and the sackers give you plastic. I always answer plastic. Maybe I shouldn't. Here's what happened at my local store today.

Today I was in need of 2 big brown paper sacks. I am needing to wrap a package in brown so I can send it off in the mail. I figured that it would be free getting these paper sacks. WRONG!
I was shocked when the clerk said to me, "Do you know what they charge you?" I was taken aback! "Charge? Well, I never heard of that!" The clerk says, "We even charge the school when they have Red Ribbon Week. " (Kids Pre-K through 5th grade decorate paper sacks as a part of their activities.) And I'm think, well, how many do you give (charge) to the school? (School, if you want to save money, stop purchasing these things). Make sure every teacher stocks up on these and they will no longer have to ask this store for brown paper bags.

Can you believe it? What was once a traditional bag to carry groceries in is no longer free, it incurs a charge.

So if I would have asked for paper would they make me pay higher for not using plastic? Would they have tacked it onto my bill? They shouldn't make you pay a fee either way. That's just ludicious! I should have asked them to bag my two items that I purchased in brown bags. And tell them to put one item in one bag and the other item in the other bag. Then no need to tell me there is a charge for paper sacks.

It's a sad world when they have to charge you for something that was free years ago. Now supposing you want to get a box from their trash bin. Is there a coin operated machine for 25 cents for you to get a free box?

I better be quiet. They might get some ideas!
Oh by the way, I didn't get charged. I guess I have some clout! (LOL!)

No comments: