We went to see this nice looking orange cat about 60 miles away (my former hometown) and when we got out of the van, I say to my kids, "There's no guarantees. We may not even like the cat or buy it." So we walked into the vet clinic and there was the cat. The vet assistant opened the cage and placed the cat in my arms. The cat was calm as we all patted him. He was a beautiful orange cat with white under his chin and stomach. I haven't owned a cat since I was 12 or 13. So as we patted him "S" looks up at her dad and says, "Please???" I pat the cat and I'm thinking, "What a nice cat!" Then, I start chocking up...me the "no guarantees" person. I was falling in love with the cat. I liked it right off knowing that he gets along with dogs and is litter boxed trained AND that he was orange in color. My very first cat I had when I was three was an orange cat. But this one didn't remind me of my first cat only that he was the same color.
So we talk about adopting the cat and "S" dad finally caves in....barely. Here's a guy who only had one dog in is life and had to "adopt" "L" my beloved dog (who died nearly 9 years ago) when we got married a few years back. He liked our old dog and tolerates "D" a large dog. I think that he really likes "D" but really liked "L" much better. Some men do not like cats at all, but yet I know other men who prefer cats over dogs. They tell me that cats are "low maintenance."
We went to the Animal Shelter (after KU's win over Texas!) and had to fill out some papers. You would think I was applying for a job! I had to tell them why I liked the cat, if we had other pets, the name of my vet (I'll elaborate more on that), the expense that adopting a cat would cause, where we would put the cat if we were gone (they didn't ask where we would put him if we went on a three week vacation!), if the cat was going to be indoor or outdoor (definitely indoor, the cat would live longer and be much safer inside the house), if we were going to get the cat de-clawed (no), and then they wanted three references!! So I gave them my mom's name, a friend, and my pastor's name and number. I hope I would get a glowing recommendation from all three of these people.
Now the vet situation...we had the best vet ever, Dr. Tom and he moved a year or two ago. He was the one who gave us "D" and he knew how much we cared for "L." Now "D" is past due on her shots and I don't have a vet. I saw an ad in the paper about a vet so I might call him like tomorrow or so! But the Animal Shelter needs Dr. Tom's recommendation...I said, "Well he's moved and the practice too." So I wrote his name down...if only they could get a hold of him, then I think the cat would be ours.
The Shelter said they would call us in a couple of days...keep your fingers crossed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment