
My daughter is going to Topeka on Thursday to be a page for a day. A page has to be at least 12 years old and over. The teacher chose three students from Harper Jr. High after they wrote a paragraph on why they wanted to work as a page in Topeka for a day. The page runs errands for the House of Representatives. The rep may want a copy of a bill sent over to another rep; or the rep. may want a cup of coffee or soft drink; or the rep. may want some kind of snack; or any numerous activity. The page is not allowed to use the elevator and must go up at least 5 flights of stairs...whew!
The pages are in a room and the reps will paige a page to do a certain task for them.
My brother, who is 6 years older than me, was a page at one time back in the 60's. He stayed a week with our uncle and aunt in Topeka. My uncle, who worked in a government agency arranged for my brother to become a page. He enjoyed the experience. When I was in the seventh grade I wanted to do this too, but my uncle died suddenly that winter and I never got to work as a page.
So now it is bittersweet that my daughter, many years later, has the honor in serving as a page.
I can see my uncle smiling now! :)
I was hoping that s would be going to Topeka this Saturday for the State Spelling Bee. But she came in second in the county, so they don't let alternates come for the championship. Oh well.
My thoughts will be with her and safe travel for the group. I know that she wants to see KU play on TV or at least listen to the game. She's excited for the trip, but wishes she could see the Hawks play too!
The pages are in a room and the reps will paige a page to do a certain task for them.
My brother, who is 6 years older than me, was a page at one time back in the 60's. He stayed a week with our uncle and aunt in Topeka. My uncle, who worked in a government agency arranged for my brother to become a page. He enjoyed the experience. When I was in the seventh grade I wanted to do this too, but my uncle died suddenly that winter and I never got to work as a page.
So now it is bittersweet that my daughter, many years later, has the honor in serving as a page.
I can see my uncle smiling now! :)
I was hoping that s would be going to Topeka this Saturday for the State Spelling Bee. But she came in second in the county, so they don't let alternates come for the championship. Oh well.
My thoughts will be with her and safe travel for the group. I know that she wants to see KU play on TV or at least listen to the game. She's excited for the trip, but wishes she could see the Hawks play too!
No comments:
Post a Comment