Tuesday, March 27, 2007

It Comes with the Territory

I work as a custodian of our church. I vacuum, dust, rearrange furniture, pour clorox down drains, empty trash, clean toliets, clean the sanctuary, etc., all that fun stuff. Today while I was vacuuming downstairs I saw a small daddy long-legged spider on a table. I shrieked a little. Okay, I shrieked a lot! I don't like spiders at all, but I since I am one of the custodians (along with L) I have to take care of these things right away.

When I was first married we would always run across spiders. I was "deathly" afraid of them. One time I got up in the middle of the night to my bathroom and didn't bother turning on the light until I really needed it. When I did I saw this huge black spider, it had to be at least 3 inches big! I have never ever been so scared in my life! So L comes racing in upon my blood curdling scream and takes care of it. Over the years I've been able to handle spiders a little better. I just get a big shoe and splatter it till it's dead and then some.

So today I saw another spider a big daddy-long legs (probably a harmless spider) but I screamed a little louder. I stood back trying to look for a huge shoe. Instead I took my foot and killed him on the spot.

Another pest in our church that we have are crickets. When I first took on the job I found a lot of them in about every room of the church. Ick! I hate insects that hop.

Still another pest, the one that ranks up there with the spider is the wasp. Yes, this church has wasp problem. They come out when the sunshines in from the south. They swarm in our foyer and sometimes we have seen them buzzing in church as everyone dodges them. When my son, was a little boy, he was stung by these pests. Once, we had a pastor who was allergic to wasps, so he was fearful of them too. We've always had a wasp problem as long as I can remember. I always hope that I can figure out how come they are attracted to our church. I have searched on the Internet how to make a trap to kill them and eliminate the problem. Maybe I'll do that. The only thing good with the wasps is that they kill still another problem the flies.

You see all kinds of pests and cleaning problems on this job. But it comes with the territory. I'm not complaining but don't be surprised if someday you'll hear someone gasp, because it will be me conquering the pests of the church.

3 comments:

flute4peace said...

Is that what the "caution, toxic fumes" sign is for downstairs? LOL. I can just see you running around with a big can of Raid ;)

MB said...

Oh that's another problem from upstairs. No amount of air freshner will help that room. You should have seen me with that "Wasp Kill" stuff earlier this year!! EEK!

S♥ said...

Ooh, sounds like fun..lol.