Thursday, March 1, 2007

Spelling Bee Excitement!

WOW! "S" did well in the Spelling Bee today. I don't know who is more nervous, the students or their parents. "S" made second in the county bee! "J.D." from 8 miles south of my town was the first place winner he spelled "innumerable" (I'm not even sure if that's correctly spelled!). The winners of the bee were: "J.D." first place from 8 miles south; S" was second; and "T.P.", a fifth grade student from our town and from our church took third place. Congrats to "T.P." he did well in the bee. I expect to see him next year.

"S" and "J.D." had a spell off of several words, some of which I couldn't even spell. Here are some of them (the ones I could spell!) :) phosphorus (they both missed that one), academic, celluloid, chlorine, association, titanium, university, existence, refurbish, and existence. "S" had trouble with differential.

"S" studied a lot of words last night. But it's difficult to figure which words they will choose. When I watched the bee today I wrote down every word that was given, and checked the ones that the student missed.

So now she is an alternate for HP county if and only if J.D. would get sick. That won't happen, not if he can help it! I think it would be cool if we went to Topeka to see the State Bee in March.

This is "S" last year for the bee as she is in 8th grade. Next year, I'll try and get "J" in it as he is a great speller too!

Movie assignment tonight, rent and watch "Akeelah and the Bee." It's a story of triumph!
When the Scripps Spelling Bee (the National Spelling Bee in D.C.) in May is on watch it, you will be amazed at what these kids know.

1 comment:

flute4peace said...

WOW! WAY TO GO S!!!!!