When I first heard the news I was angered, disgusted, and upset. We went through the application process on Saturday and it was rejected on Sunday. We had no time getting a vet in such a short notice. They said we were not responsible pet owners because our dog's vaccinations were not up to date. My kids are heartbroken and I was making plans on how to take care of the cat. The worker of the shelter left a message on my machine. So after ranting and raving the past hour or so, I wrote them a note telling them about our dilema.
"Dear ms. M: I received your message and felt the need to explain a few things. Our town is an hour away and we currently have no veterinarians. Our own personal vet moved away, another vet had died, and another vet is no long in practice because of personal problems. Then just this week in our "weekly" paper, another vet advertised his services. I am planning on contacting him tomorrow (Monday).
I am sorry if you think that we are bad owners because we haven't got our dog vaccinated. We adopted out dog through (our regular vet's name) and he knows we are responsible people.
I know when we went through the application process we could have lied and not told you that we even had a dog and that she wasn't current with her shots. But, I chose to tell you the truth up front. The only thing that I am guilty of is telling the truth.
Our vet's number in his new town is.....They will tell you that we are good people and that we truly love animals.
I had previously contacted you through email about adopting the cat, but couldn't see him until this past week because of my children's school activities.
I wish that we would have been informed that there was someone else who put their application in before us.
....the cat would have made a wonderful addition to our family. We will miss not having him as a part of our family.
I hope I made them think as I was trying to get my point across. We are not bad, irresponsible owners...But this town is in desperate need for a vet or two. It's not my fault that the vet either died, or moved or have personal problems. It is a problem for the city if not the county in general.
I try to tell my kids not to lie and to tell the truth at all times. This situation didn't help. Honesty, maybe good in some instances depending whom you are dealing with. I do try to have good moral character, even if I am not a responsible owner. At least I am a responsible parent, caregiver, and my dog is happy.
We will get her shots up to date, provided we find the right vet.
I strongly urge no one to go to Hutchinson, KS animal shelter as they won't give you a chance to explain yourself if you have special circumstances like we did. They didn't even contact any of my references. We would have loved that cat. Thank you Hutchinson Animal Shelter for breaking our hearts. :(
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment