"S" is going to High School in August. She will have a change in location, teachers, friends, and classes. For the past 8 years she has gone to the same school. The classes are pretty much the same from sixth grade to eighth grade. No choices, no variety and same teachers.
She just got a Freshman enrollment form from the junior high counselor. Being a freshman, she is somewhat limited in what she can choose to enroll in. There are the required courses of Physical Education, a science class, a math class, an English class, and a keyboarding class. Then there are the "choices," and even that is limited, in my opinion. This is a small high school, yet as freshmen, the students cannot take journalism course, unless they get a permission from the teacher. The students are offered Home Economics (Basic Sewing), Ag. Education, Technology, Debate, Forensics, two Art classes, three social studies classes, one foreign language class, and three music classes. Not too many choices. I would like to see more journalism classes and at least a drama class and more social studies classes.
So now she is pouring over the application form frustrated by the choices. I have offered my opinion (remembering my high school years, or that is trying to remember my high school years. LOL!) what courses to take.
When I was a freshman, I was still in junior high. I went to a larger junior high than "S" and we had our choices. Shop for the guys and Home Ec for the girls. So when I was in 9th grade I took Cooking, Band, Orchestra, a Math class, English, Science classes, compromising of Chemistry, Rock Science, Biology, and Physics, PE, and a social studies class. There wasn't much choices there as I remember, but there were art classes offered and there was no way I would take art. Ick.
But times have changed. I am sure glad I don't have to go to High school again! :) Good luck "S."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Those are such hard decisions to make! I would recommend a variety of subjects. I took ALL music classes and, while that was fun at the time, I think I missed out on some of the more academic stuff.
I can't believe I just said that. Of COURSE she should take music classes, LOL.
She not musically inclined, so she'll do her best to stay away from any music classes. Too bad.
Post a Comment