Tuesday, March 27, 2007

It's only a number

My birthday is coming up on Saturday. I get the comments, "You were almost an April Fools baby," yeah, heh, heh. According to my mom I was a little late making my appearance, so no, I wasn't almost an April Fools baby.

When I turned my milestone birthday, a couple of years ago. I didn't like it. I was getting older and had high blood pressure. I had to start wearing bi-focals. My fertility years were about to come to and end. A friend of mine said, "It's only a number." She was wise, she was older than me and had some good advice for me. "At least you are still alive."

Yes, that was true. I have had some good friends who never turned my age. Their lives were cut short at an early age. One girl had cancer, another guy I knew had a heart attack, another guy and girl drowned in rivers , and still others were involved in car accidents. So my complaints of high blood pressure pills and bi-focals meant nothing. At least I was still alive living life at my fullest. At least I could watch my family grow up and be the best parent to them as I could. I started feeling better and stronger about life.

At church we had a pastoral ministries students who talked about "empty-nesters" at age 40 and 50. I had to laugh when hearing this. I am in one of those age groups and we are not empty-nesters...that won't happen until I am in my 60's.

It's only number 52.

5 comments:

flute4peace said...

Woah! I never would have guessed your age! You certainly look much younger. Must be all that walkin'.

MB said...

When I was younger I went to the fair to the "guesser." He would either guess your age or your weight. He tried to guess my age and I won! ;)
Thanks for the compliment. :)

S♥ said...

Haha well happy early birthday lol :P

flute4peace said...

Yeah, I can pretty much fool people, too. Except for the gray hairs that are starting to appear.

MB said...

Highlights...they are good to have! I started having highlights when I was in my late 20's. That way you don't pull out those gray sprigs.