Today after Sunday School I was offered to take over the position of Church Historian. I had at one time expressed an interest in it. I talked with the current Historian and I got scared out of doing it. Then.
So today I talked with T. and told him that was a lot of work. He said that no one else seemed interested in the task. He told me to think about doing that job and to let him know by next Sunday.
I thought about it all right. Before worship, during worship, during quiet time and prayer. I kept thinking about the archive room. I had been there many times and know how hard it is to track records down there. I started to think about my ideas. I couldn't stop thinking about it. It's that "dog with a bone syndrome." I just can't let things go. It was really on my mind.
I love History and genealogy. At one time I got to transcribe obituaries on "MennoBits." I was sent out some hard re-copies of "The Gospel Herald," Mennonite newspaper and typed in obituaries online. Then I found "The Gospel Herald" books in the library and transcribed the entire 1950's. I LOVED doing this. It is not work. Another time I went out to our local Mennonite Cemetery and transcribed the headstones (only to find there is a copy in our archives on this). I put this information together and put it online.
So this afternoon L and I went to the archive room. We looked through countless of pieces of information. It was exciting!! We read about the "history" of our local church. However, I did find looking through these archival materials that it does need some order. I have some ideas what I'd like to see be done.
I contact T. tonight through email telling him I would take the position. It will be a lot of hard work (harder than being a custodian) but I sure would like to try to do this. At last, I am using my major after 35 years!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey cool, that sounds like fun!!
Post a Comment