Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Mouse Adventure

Twenty-one years ago when L and I were dating I owned a house in Wichita. My laundry room was in the garage and ever so often I would hear something skittering in the room. I also had a dog who would try and track down the "noise." The skittering noise was a mouse. In fact, two mice!

So one night L would stand on a ladder and I would sit on top of my washer and or dryer trying to make the mice come out of their hiding place. L would turn off the light and then I would bang on my washer/dryer and then we would turn on the light and see them running around. We would attempt to kill the mice with a shovel and a broom. Oooh!! How I hate mice to this day!!

Tonight while I was checking the church. The back door was left open. Then I walked by the west bathroom and turned on a light because I saw something brown on the floor. Immediately I turned on the light and Mickey scampered under the heat register. I SCREAMED!!! I told L of my findings. He looked around and couldn't figure out where Mickey was. So I ran downstairs and got a yard stick. L saw him finally. I offered to bring him a broom, or a shovel. I would have given him a hammer just to kill Mickey. I looked in my closet and there was bug killer. I don't think that would have done him in. I thought about the sewing ladies coming in tomorrow morning. No, we had to capture Mickey tonight.

So L placed the trash basket down near the register and took the yardstick to move the mouse into the basket. Then he immediately took an old tile from outdoors to capture Mickey. He wasn't sure at first that he had the mouse. So he searched the trash basket and the mouse jumped! By this time I hear L screaming. It surprised him. I was scared. What if Mickey would have bit him?

L could have killed Mickey, but being the true Mennonite, he released Mickey out in a field, north of the church, unharmed. I was hoping if there was a snake out there in the field that maybe Mickey could be his food.

As we turned to go inside the church, I laughed and said, "Well the last time we killed a mouse was before we got married." Then I added, "Oh, happy anniversary!" ;)

2 comments:

flute4peace said...

*wipes tears* What a hilarious anniversary present!!

You know, they do have these nifty contraptions these days that are a much easier (but less entertaining) method of catching the little critters. Go into the "what's it for store" and ask for mouse traps ;).

MB said...

My hope is that Mickey bring the Missus and their kids!