Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Here We Go Again!

This morning when I was taking J to school he coughed and I asked him if he was okay. He said he wasn't feeling good. So sure enough I got a call from the school nurse.

I've heard this song and dance before. It happened in 4th grade and for some reason it didn't last year. He did all he could to get out of PE class. He likes sports (basketball and tennis) but for some reason does not like PE. I blame this on the teacher. I have watched her in action and wasn't happy with how she treated her students. He has had this PE teacher since kindergarten. Whenever grades comes out PE is his lowest grade. I don't have to worry about his academics just PE. Especially when typically he "doesn't feel good," around that time period. It's terrible to think that my kid is faking an illness (when he could be feeling quite bad) and I just can't accept it. It's the cry of wolf. We've been down this merry path before. In 4th grade it got so bad that I had to talk to the Principal about the problem.

We have only been into the school year for a whole 4 days and this is going on. The nurse did tell me that that type of thing was going around at school. But I know how things go at school, if you don't like a class you do feel sick. Same thing happened to me at 3rd grade and when I made the transition from 6th to junior high. There really shouldn't be a problem with him going to middle school as it is in the same building. He knows most of his teachers with the exception of the Math teacher. Math isn't in the morning either. So that's not the problem. He's got English and the next class is either PE or music. My guess its PE.

I have been against combining the middle school forever. However, if it meant a change of PE teachers or different teachers I MIGHT change my mind. J has to put up with this teacher for another 3 years. Then he'll have high school PE. I'm thinking he will like that better as he knows the teacher there.

The nurse did say this was going around and that he did look green around the gills, but she would give him some tums to see if this would clear up the problem. He's not coming home until he does "earp." He didn't have a fever. So that to me is an indication that it is the class not the sickness.

I never had this problem with S. She loves school and when she is sick I know she isn't faking. She might not like some things that has gone on, but she stuck it out. There were times when she didn't feel good and she still made it to school. I have such opposite children.

S was lucky though, she only had to put up with that particular PE teacher for 2 years.

Hopefully after this particular class is over with he will feel a whole lot better. It is unfortunate that this has to happen only 4 days in the school year! :(

No comments: