It was so hot today you probably could fry an egg on the manhole cover as shown in the inky paper today. When it is this hot it makes it too hot to go out to an un-airconditioned church to work. But L and I did work tonight during the little rain we got this evening. It felt great outside but AWFUL inside. It was only 85 degrees in our fellowship hall, whereas in the sanctuary it was a warm 94 degrees.
I can't recall the temperature even being this hot for the past two years. I do remember back in the 80's when I worked for the phone company and temps would go up to 110 degrees several days straight. One May I went to the NW for a vacation and when I flew back into Wichita the pilot told us it was 110 upon landing. UGH!!
------
We had a primary election in Kansas today. We have these new computerized voting machines now. No more paper ballots, pencils to make an "x" on or black marker pens to fill in the circles. Nope. That's a thing of the past. Today I walked in looking for my ward, which had moved because of the new voting machines. The election workers found my name, told the other one my party affliation and then gave me a white credit card to vote with. I stood in line watching the elderly voters struggle with learning the new system. Then it was my turn. I placed the credit card in the slot until it made a click and my voting instructions appeared on the screen (for just my party). It was pretty easy to do...I had only a couple of votes to make and I was done. The other party had more positions to vote for. So after I submitted my ballot out popped the little white card. I handed it back to the worker and said, "Here's your credit card back." Then I got a "I Voted" sticker to wear proudly on my shirt.
I have always come from a family of voters. Not to be a voter just seems strange. But it happens. Some people don't vote for various reasons. I keep trying to convince this one person but he never has voted and I doubted that he ever will, unless a school bond issue would appear someday in our county. Then he might vote that one time. One thing since he doesn't vote we don't get into political arguements and that is good, since I am married to a non-voter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment