This year it was a little different open house at the HS. The new principal told about her background and introduced the staff. That was really nice. I didn't know what some of them looked like or taught. Then they did a computer presentation about powerschool and a test group. Anyone who knows me, knows that I want to be part of that test group. Then they presented a program about renovation in the high school/grade schools. Nothing about closing down either school but renovating them and the costs involved. It didn't sound too extravagant.
Then she said we were free to go around to visit the classrooms and teachers. Well, last year I liked how we followed the schedule and saw who was in S's class. This year anybody who wasn't in the class could walk in. It was sort of confusing. The teacher didn't just address the ones who was taking Desktop Publishing. He had to talk to the ones who taking keyboarding as well.
The new teacher taking over Desktop Publishing was very nice to meet. He has a very enthusiastic personality! He seemed like he enjoyed his subject as I asked him what they were doing in class. It sounded really interesting! We need more teachers like him. Someone who has a passion for teaching.
We visited with the Biology teacher. She had a lot of animals for the kids to adopt out. I really don't want to as I have an indoor cat. Most of these critters were guinea pigs and mice! I could see those mice and my cat. No. I think not. I haven't heard any thing negative about the Biology teacher, so we will see how this subject goes as the year goes by.
Then we conversed with our friend Kim at the library. It's always nice to see people who know you and know you well. We could just talk to her so easy. She really has a lot of great books in her library. She's good at what she does and I hope the HS keeps her forever! :) Or as long as she wants to stay, whichever comes first.
We went to the History Teacher's classroom who is married to the Debate/Forensics teacher. She asked if S was a good student. It was like, "Well yes, with the exception of math. (and even then she's a better math student than me). " I will be scrutinizing the History teacher every chance I can get, since I studied to become one.
The English teacher is nice as well. She looks to be a very energetic person and young. I told her that S likes English. The teacher knows S from student council and noted that S doesn't talk very much. I told her just wait she will when she gets used to the class. One of the mom's in there was expressing how tough it was to get her son to read. I laughed and said, "My son is the same way. So we will sound like you in a couple three years." Not liking to read must be some kind of boy problem. Although, I have known of a few guys who have liked to read (my brother is one).
We finally found the Geometry teacher, clear down the hall! He asked us how she liked the class and I said, "Well, it's MATH!" So he told us what he told the kids that he's not the bad guy and that the state requires them to take 3 years of it for graduation. I just feel for S, as math was my least favorite subject of all time. S wishes she lived back in my time where I only had to take 2 easy years of Math. If I lived during her time, I wouldn't survive Math without a tutor or something. I just hope S can pull a good grade out of this class. It is my biggest concern.
Our last class was Spanish. My mind was thinking, "Parlez vous Francais." I shook my head, thinking this is Spanish not French. Quickly walking in I said, "Hola!" (I got it right!) The teacher answered me back "Hola!" She talked about Spanish for this year and how happy she was. I thought, "Hmm. I know that S said that the teacher had a new boyfriend...yeah, I remember those days too. No wonder she's happy. Happy for the class and her life in general."
So while we were conversing, this gray headed man appeared and sat down. The teacher asked him who he was. He said, "H." I knew that last name. S's ex-bf's dad. So the teacher says, "Ah M!" My eyes grew big. Mr. H didn't know that M's ex gf's parents were in the same room. Thankfully the teacher didn't mention this fact either.
We quickly left the room and snarfed down some delicious cookies before going into the coaches meeting. We had no idea where we were to sit. So we had to move as we were sitting near the Vollyball team. S is on the Tennis team this year. Our coaches seem really nice as we've met them over the summer. The head coach is hoping to get a middle school tennis team up. I'm going to have to push J to be on the team, if this happens. He took tennis camp and liked it.
What I would like to see is Tennis courts on the school's campus. As is, the team has to drive to Anthony to practice. They have two different practices because one of the courts in that town is getting a "makeover." Perhaps in this bond issue to renovate our schools, they could add some tennis courts too. I'll be blogging about this particular subject soon!
I am hoping that the school year will be great for S. Now today, we get to have a small open house at the grade school.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sounds like a good experience (with the exception of "meeting" H. Hopefully this will be a good year for S.
Sounds like you had a mostly good time at open house. We don't do one here since a 7-12 building.
Post a Comment