Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Stock up on Bread!

This morning I woke up to find that we were out of bread. I needed to make J a lunch and we were out of bread. L couldn't find time before heading out to work to go to the Kangaroo or Doms. So I had to get up early. Groan!

I talk to S who was waiting on the bus and she told me that they didn't have bread at either one of those stores. WHAT?? Isn't that what a convenient store is all about. It has stuff that you need in a pinch.

I travel a block north to the Kangaroo store. I parked on the side so I could make an easy exit. I discover that I'm wearing my old glasses (thankfully I can still see out of those). I walk in and of course they have icees, hot dogs on the grill, chips in bags (Yeah, I'm going to need this NOW!). Then they had oil, all sorts of candy, but no bread was to be found. I look in the freezers and discover little sandwiches are packaged. One was built on a hamburger bun. I had hamburger buns at home, but this wasn't going to cut it. Finally I reach for a turkey club on the top shelf hoping J will eat it. The sandwich was $2.80. I could have gotten bread cheaper than that at Target IF I would have stocked up.

I always thought those little stores had bread on the shelves. I guess that was back in the dark ages when they had bread in convenient store or is it just life in a small town.

So I bought my little sandwich. There was a kid in line who wanted a pack of cigarettes. I thought "is he even eighteen?" The clerk didn't card him. Kids are looking younger everyday, this is a sign of "old age," on my part.

I get to my car and some truck is parked right next to my left bumper, leaving me hardly any room to back up. What a jerk! I say quietly, "Umm, somebody move your truck." I figure the driver was talking on his cell. So I back out a little, with only 5 inches between us and whew! got out of the area. I guess I'm a little claustrophobic.

This little lesson has taught me that maybe I should buy two loaves of bread instead of one in a week. Because convenient stores around here aren't so convenient!
-----
We went to the Middle School open house. The speeches were the same as before when S was there. Nothing had changed. I do wish that the band teacher was there but he wasn't. That was disappointing and the singing teacher was a no-show too. Whatever. But I guess these two individuals live out of town and had other committments. The PE teacher talked about her class. L said that her rules were based on "negatives." You start out at an A and if you don't do such and such she takes off points. We have to put up with this teacher until 9th grade...ugh! This would be one reason to consolidate (maybe we would have a better PE teacher). Our principal talked about Saturday school and kids receiving zeros. J is very aware of that and will strive not to do that.

Another teacher talked and we were like "huh?" I think it is time for this one to pass the torch to a new younger teacher and I was surprised that she didn't last year. I heard that her student teacher was excellent! Since she lives around here I am sure that whenever this teacher leaves A.H. will be taking over. We need some new energetic teachers in the classrooms.

The open house for the middle school wasn't well attended. I wish that they could conduct it like they do at the HS. It would be nice if we could just walk into the classroom, introduce ourselves and look around the room. Instead they have the teachers talking about what they do to the group of parents who decide to show up. Maybe, it would be nice to entice people to come. The cookie thing worked last year at the HS but not this year. Maybe it would have worked at the Middle School. Who knows?

3 comments:

flute4peace said...

You completely cracked me up on the bread excursion. Our grocery store doesn't open early enough, huh!

MB said...

The hours at the local store should be at least 7 or 7:30 AM. Either that or we need to get QuikTrip or KwikShop (Loaf and Jug) to make an appearance in this town. As far as I know those stores carry bread.

When I was little we used to have little local stores that had candy and bread. What happened to those days?

Anonymous said...

Keep crackers in the cupboard and then you can always do a home made lunchable. I used to do that until wheat became an issue.