Today we went to Wichita to get J a new bike. He had been riding around on a small 20" bike that belonged to S. He was pretty embarassed to ride that around. This was his first bike. It took him a while to learn, but he did learn. We saw a bike at Wal-Mart for like $80. I thought we could be that price. HA! Always go with your first instinct. Then we went to Target and found a great one for $149. Then we went to a used bicycle place on Central (Bicycle Exchange), I wasn't overjoyed at the neighborhood and was hestitant to go in the place. He had OLD bikes...it looked like he had a ten-speed that I owned in high school (so some of those bikes were at least 36 years old or more). But he did have a bike that J could use...yeah, for like $120ish. While we were on the "east" side I suggested that we go to Toys R Us. That's where I got my bike a while back. We found a couple at $89 plus they added $10 for assembly. So we nixed that idea. So we drove back to the west side, going through Eastbourough. I saw a political advertisement for someone running for judge and I knew him! He went to SC like I did.
Then we got back on the west side and decided to get a frosty and eat supper. It was a long day. We got back to Wal-mart and the bike was parked on the floor. We looked around and wondered if anyone was going to buy it. Then we took it to the front and bought it. Then the trick was to load it in the back of the van. Finally with a lot of pushing and shoving we got it in.
------
We went to a store this afternoon called "Bookaholic." They have really old and new and used books from history, to comedy, to fiction, religion, and cookbooks! Cookbooks! So I found used cookbooks from all over! Churches and other fundraisers. I would open up and book and say, "Oh yeah, G R publishing did this." I could tell by the typesetting. There were cookbooks from Pennslyvania, Protection, KS, Washington, KS (I thought about Elderberry then), Texas. Then interesting names such as "Gastronomical Dishes," was one title. Old cookbooks and someone put in one from Morris Cookbook company! I laughed, it was the sample copy they send out for promotional material. I thought to myself, that I could have done that!! It was interesting. I thought some day our new Mennonite Cookbook will be in there too, you never know.
------
We had cake and cards tonight. I only had 24 candles but needed 27. So S put 6 on hers 1 + 5 and J 1 + 2. We unvailed the cakes and S's cake looked really great. But J's was not. His frosting on the cake slid off the cake and instead of saying, "12 Happy B-day J" it ended up looking like "BOW." I had never seen frosting slide off a cake. I did cool it down before applying the frosting. So, no pictures of the cakes this year! They both tasted great. S had Spice and J had chocolate.
Tomorrow is the true b-day! Happy b-day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh you totally sound like me driving all around town to find a better deal. I'm glad you found one! K will be excited for him.
The bookstore sounds like fun, too!
Too funny about the frosting. That's just bizarre. I'm sure it tasted good, though!
Post a Comment