Tomorrow my church is having an auction. L is make something special for the occasion. I found a game that we played once (Scene It Movie edition) and then some stuff that I got from my wedding of nearly 20 years ago.
I have no emotional attachments to these items that I found in the basement. I remember wrapping them carefully in newspaper. Today as I look through the items I find the old newspaper. It was like finding a time capsule of stuff. In one box there was a newspaper featuring the movies that were "new" in 1989. "Field of Dreams," one of my favorite movies. In another box I found a newspaper dated 1991, just before we moved to where we live now. The hot topics then: baseball manager Leo Durocher had past away and the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill hearing were going on.
Then I found a salad bowl set downstairs. Now even though I have never used that set, I cannot bear to part with it. It was given to me by a dear cousin who died a week after our wedding. I DO have emotional attachments to that particular item.
It's funny the kind of emotional attachments that we place on "things." I have A LOT of attachments down in my basement that I can't bear to part with. It could be clothes that S or J wore when they were babies, or stuffed animals that they played with and have their initials on, or toys. But sometimes you need to part with them because you run out of room to keep them and you just can't keep EVERYTHING. This is why we have garage sales. I've only held two in my lifetime. I suppose I should have more but it's hard to part with "things" because it reminds you of the people who held these toys next to their heart.
------
My friend Flute is facing surgery next month. Pray for her. I'm sure she'll do okay. But prayer really does get you through your fears and concerns and helps the doctors do well.
-------
KU plays Iowa State tomorrow at 2:30. Hope that they do well tomorrow!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment