Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Unrestful night

I couldn't shut my brain off, nor my hearing mechanism, nor my nose last night. I had a tough time getting to sleep and ended up taking a nap with the cat this afternoon.

First off, I was reading, as I always do on the Internet at night. I was playing with "Facebook" and ran across some young people that I hadn't seen in nearly 20 years. In fact, they were at my wedding, and they probably wouldn't remember it. My best friend of 20 years ago, "K" came with her two children, to my wedding. We were best buds working together for Ma Bell as operators. We would hang out together and she would fix me up with some real losers for boyfriends. Sure, she was a nice person but she was a lousy boyfriend finder. I can still remember her trying to get me to write for the office newspaper, which eventually I did write for it and became the editor later on. "K" was a great friend. She got married before I did. Had 3 children before I did. And she died before she was 50. She has been gone for nearly 6 years. She died of cancer. It started in her lungs (she was a heavy smoker) and it eventually went into her brain. Maybe that's why I hate it when I am around smoke. But thankfully, she did find God before she died and belonged to a Presbyterian church in W town. Her youngest daughter was only 12 when she died.

So I found her kids on "Facebook" and saw a picture of her oldest daughter. She looks just like her. My mind kept remember how "K" talked and I couldn't shut my mind off.

Then J was coughing so much last night. I don't know how much rest he got. He likes to sleep in the basement with us in the other room. He would walk upstairs several times to get a drink of water. I couldn't shut my hearing off.

Then finally I smelled smoke from our neighbors woodburning stove. They have an outdoor wood boiler and the stack isn't high enough to go over the roof. So if there is a north wind we get the smoke downwind and the odor seeps inside our house. I started coughing too and threw the blankets over my head trying not to breathe.

By this time 2AM, I've had it. I go upstairs and sleep in J's room (on the other side of the house). This way I don't smell much of the smoke. I finally sleep after having some strange dreams and hear S waking up at 6 AM.

Hopefully tonight will be a better night. Sleepily yours...MB.

No comments: