Thursday, November 22, 2007

Of Players, people, and passing thoughts

After the game we lined up along the tunnel to get autographs of the KU basketball players. The crowd control ushers put a line up so the fans wouldn't step beyond that line. We got in place with a few other kids and adults waiting to see who would come out of the locker room. One of the adults (wasn't me) wanted the Coach's signature. That sounded good to me too, but someone saw him leave the building the other way. Another missed opportunity seeing him.

All of these kids are genuinely nice to both kids and adults. Jeremy Case loves to talk to the kids and ask them how they are doing. He's one of my favorites. S did get to see Russell Robinson. He was sooo nice!! S would ask them if they would take a picture with her and they would all say sure. Cole Aldrich and Tyrel Reed both seem really young. Cole had his Gatorade in his back pocket and has such a boyish grin. We all liked them all. I think that speaks well of the team when they consent to a picture or an autograph without ANY complaints. They are nice and they represent the university well. They are such great ambassadors. I can never emphasize this enough. They have been schooled well or they are just nice young men to begin with. We did miss Sherron Collins, as he is hobbling on crutches. Each time S asked if they would take a picture with her. I would take it (camera wasn't always cooperating with me...flute I needed you then) and I would say "Thank you very much." I would smile at them and them at me. Just very nice kids. Great role models.
------
Of people....people got to the fieldhouse late and would leave early. WHY? I guess they don't cherish what they have. We, who don't live near a collegiate team are starved to see a game. We may be the last people who leave the parking lot and so we don't have to battle the lines out of the campus. That's fine. We take in the whole experience. Kids get their autographs and talk to the players. We linger and watch all the hoopla. We try to take pictures on the floor. An usher shooed us and others away. I guess they didn't want us to desecrate the Jayhawk. I'm not sure what's the reason.

People milled in front of us and in the exits while watching the game. It was hard for us to watch the game because people just wouldn't sit down, or they got there 30 minutes into the game. It was ridiculous!

Most people were on the most part, pretty nice to talk to. We talked to some of the fans sitting behind us and those waiting in line for autographs. The people running the concession stand were very nice too.
----
While we were downtown and at the game we saw this one older man dressed oddly. He wore shredded jeans, a colorful stocking cap, and an 11-0 football t-shirt. At first I thought he was a homeless weird guy. THEN, S said she saw him on TV during a football game dancing. Then while he was at the Basketball game, he got everyone in the mood cheering for KU. He even sat in the student section (behind the basket) as people took pictures of him. Someone called him the "ultimate" fan. So we will be sure to watch him out at Arrowhead on Saturday evening when KU football takes on Mizzou in the Border war.
----
While we were waiting to go to the Booth family Memorial we saw the football team leaving for practice. S waved and took a picture of their bus.
----
I can see S someday at Lawrence. What an experience. There may be more to blog later.

No comments: