Thursday, November 22, 2007

On the campus of the University of Kansas

We got on campus relatively early like around 3 pm. We drove on Naismith drive and seeing Allen Fieldhouse on the left side is quite a site! We drove over to the Kansas Union to check out the sweatshirts on campus. Not only does the Union have clothes, but this is where the students get their books, supplies, and KU collectables. There is also a place to eat for the students and their famous bowling alley.

We parked down the street from the union and walked briskly up the hill. It was a COLD walk. J and S looked down toward the right at the football field. I just wanted to get in the Union as it was bitterly cold.

While at the union, I picked up my copy of the University Daily Kansan the student newspaper and a magazine (also another media production) of the journalism staff. S has found the shirt to buy, actually her second t-shirt to get. She has found several but it's so hard to choose which one to purchase. I couldn't find anything, but I know there is one more bookstore on campus.

I told L and J to come pick us up at the Union's front door (or back door) because I did not want to walk in the north wind. S and I wait and then we go around memorial drive to the bookstore at the top of the hill. I find the perfect sweatshirt (it's warm) and we drive back to a parking lot near to AFH. This is where we will park for the game.

Yet, another cold northerly walk up to the fieldhouse enterance. By this time I am walking backwards. Snow is still falling but not accumulating. We walk around the Booth Memorial Hall of Fame and out to the AFH concourse.

Here I see people lining up at 4:00 PM!! Doors open at 5:30 PM and I want to be first!

I panic!

So I tell L the plan and he goes back out to the van to wait on the parking lot people to pay for parking. S and I meanwhile try to find a door open. They are locked. I guess we look pathetic standing there in the cold and a student inside the concourse sees us and lets us in.

He was an exceptionally nice guy doing us a random act of kindness! We could go no further than the lobby. It was nice and toasty inside waiting.

Next post....the game and other thoughts.

No comments: