Thursday, November 1, 2007

Skipping Thanksgiving

The Halloween season and commercials are past us as of November 1st. Now let the Christmas music and Holiday season officially begin. I just heard Christmas music as I was waking up this morning. Welcome to the sound of "Jingle Bells" from now until December 25th! I don't know about you, but I could wait upon hearing Christmas until after Thanksgiving!

Why isn't there any Thanksgiving music out there? Well, sure there's the traditional "We Gather together," but are there other songs out there. Why couldn't there be a new song such as "As The turkey lurkey dodges Mr. Farmer," or "The hills are alive with the Gobble gobble gobble." Or "I'm dreaming of some red cranberries?" (Not really, just an example).

Nope, nothing about Thanksgiving. There's Halloween and lets jump right over Thanksgiving right into Christmas. Often times I think that retailers (and they technically already have) skipped Halloween into Christmas retail. Although the Halloween costumes and decorations are a big seller. Right after Christmas decorations goes down here comes Easter and then right in June or July (depending what part of the country you live in) it's school supplies time.

What am I doing Thanksgiving? For the first time, I'm skipping Thanksgiving and will be on the road from Larry Town the night before to see my beloved KU Jayhawks Men's Basketball team play. So I'm just as guilty as the retailers for skipping Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

Ed and Phyllis Shirk said...

I am jealous that you get to see the hawks! I love KU Boys BB. I was able to watch some of their games on the internet last Spring. I have their web site on my favorites list. I share your frustration about Thanksgiving. I love Tgiving Day. Maybe because no one is expecting all the stuff that goes along with Christmas. It is always so nice to be with family and be relaxed. Hope you have a good Tday with the hawks!

MB said...

I just hope the weather is good. This will be our second game to see the Hawks in AFH. We are planning for at least one more after this one. The kids want to see KU/KState play. Those tickets will be tough to come by.

S♥ said...

I love KU basketball! =]

flute4peace said...

K2 is supposed to be playing We Gather Together in church on Sunday, but she hasn't started practicing it yet. DOH....