I had a professor whom I had at SC (the Presbyterian college). He was my advisor as I was a History major. He was also a Presbyterian pastor in a little town called Zenda. He was known for giving especially hard tests. This is probably how I learned to write lengthy and in detail. One time I remember taking a Civilization class one student fell asleep in his class. What a wrong move!! Dr. B saw this and did not like it AT ALL!! He told everyone to be quiet and then he took a book and threw it on the floor. This poor student (no thankfully it wasn't me) woke up startled as Dr. B told him that was the LAST time he would fall asleep in HIS class. I was scared!!
Then another time I can remember (in the same class) he wondered if we knew our roots and wondered how far back we could naming relatives. This one girl got up and went REALLY far back. I couldn't do that at that time. But I can now. I think that's how I got started on researching about my background. I know of my background somewhat more than I did back 30 some years ago. I also know my husband's family tree as well.
Then I remembered how Dr. B got us to really get involved in History. He would come into class dressed as someone else (not all the time) but some of the time. I remember this one time he came into class as a German guard. He played the part to the hilt! We would ask him questions and still take our notes. I'll never forget it. He was quite an entertaining professor.
One of the guys at college drew up a cartoon for our college newspaper. He drew up Dr. B perfectly!! Then he drew a whip in his hands. Yep, that was about right! Either you really liked him, you feared him, or you didn't like him. I liked him, he was a quirky man. He had a full beard and wore a turquoise ring. He liked the American Indian culture really well.
While I was in college he published a book based on his dissertation, "The Great Trek of the Russian Mennoties." I've got it somewhere in my house to this day. So yesterday I did a google search on Dr. B and found him on a 1-2 minute "You Tube video." It was interesting to see him and how he had aged. I sent this video to a friend of mine and she said that Dr. B had aged. And I said, "Well yeah, the last time we saw him, he was younger than what WE are now."
It's that aging thing again. Everyone else looks old and of course we all look the same...not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHOlxYVtkwY
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment