Face it, we are electrical dependent. If our electricity goes out, as it did today in H town, then we feel lost.
When the electricity stopped abrutly this afternoon I was just about ready to watch my soap and was reading an article on the Internet. Everything just turns black and dark. L checked on our breaker box to make sure it just wasn't us. No, everything checked out it was the neighborhood. I went out to the church thinking that things were probably fine there and perhaps I could vacuum. Nope. Couldn't vacuum; the emergency lights were on and there was an eerie silence in the church except for the ticking of the wind up clock and the dripping of the sink. I did however, find some work to do without using the electricity and I promptly put on my battery charged Mp3 player in my ears to listen to music.
After I was done working I checked on the town. The grocery store had put up a sign, "Electricity out will re-open when electricity back on," and on down to the Subway doors were open and the neon sign was darkened. I decided to see if the school kids were out playing in the yard. They were not. Hmm. Guess the teachers found some activitiy to do without the use of light or computer. Of course the hospital probably were using their backup generators. So I drove back to church and after one hour and a half it was back on.
I can imagine that some people were drying their hair, or baking a batch of cookies, or that businesses were in the midst of some important business and computers going out. Yes, we are dependent on electricity. It could have been worse though. It could have happened during a cold winter's night, it could have lasted longer. It was inconvenient. But it wasn't dire. We lost our electrical service one time during the dead of winter, the box was pulled competely off of the side of the house. It was cold and we lost a lot of food in our refrigerator. We were out for 3 days without electricity and had to leave our house. Now that's dire! I hope that we never have to go through that again. I admit it. I am dependent on my electricity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
So why did the electricity go out? I remember several years ago in January when it went out d/t ice on the lines. We were fortunate that ours never went out but many other did. I listened to KU BB on sunday on line. It was 1am for me so I didn't get to bed until 3am. I didn't stay up for the OT partly d/t tiredness but also because I was too nervous to listen anymore.
L said heard that it was because a squirrel got fried in the transformer. It not only knocked out the city of H but CHS too. I didn't realize that H supplied the electrical lines to the HS.
That was some KU game...if only Rush would have made that half-court shot at the buzzer! WOW! :)
Yeah the power went out while I was editing photographs. Ugh. Fortunately I didn't lose much - about an hour's worth of work. Not bad, considering. There definitely could have been other circumstances that could have been much worse! J didn't say anything about the fire dept. going out - sometimes they do when the squirrelies come to dinner, sometimes they don't (depends on how big the "boom" is). Initial estimates were that it would be off until 3, so coming back on at 1:45 was a nice surprise.
Just another reminder, though, of why I really want a wood stove! Our neighbors across the street were out for a week during that ice storm a couple of years ago, and they were able to stay at home because they had heat.
Don't get me started on wood stove especially what we put up with over here. :x
Woops, sorry :{
Post a Comment